Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Seven Lions & Friends Invaded the Fillmore, Plus an Exclusive Interview with SJ

Last Friday night Seven Lions alongside of producers Tritonal, Kill the Noise & SJ delivered a miraculous performance at Philadelphia’s premiere music venue, The Fillmore. All of the artists provided the atmosphere for a stunning night for all those who attended and one of the craziest nights in December for Philadelphia.

The Fillmore was a packed house right as Tritonal started there set. Tritonal hit the stage with some of their biggest hits and new remixes of their own. Kill the Noise provided an interesting take on remixing songs. Both Tritonal and Kill the Noise provided two very different sounds and once Seven Lions came on stage we had an electrifying combination of both. With no delay what so ever between sets Seven Lions, Tritonal, and Kill the Noise provided a night that no one will ever forget. A night of big bass drops, killer beats, and a stunning light show.

Once I arrived to the venue I could immediately feel the pulse of the beats flow through my body. You could feel everyone’s excitement within the Fillmore and it was contagious. I couldn’t help but dance myself to the beats of Seven Lions, and you couldn’t help but look up at the artists in awe as they stood on their platform above everyone else delivering an unforgettable night. As the show progressed time seem to be lost. Myself and everyone else didn’t care about what was going on around us, all we cared about was the music.

For more from Ryan, check him out here:
Insta: https://www.instagram.com/leddy_ryan/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/led0nator

Exclusive Interview with Rising Dance Music Star, SJ:

To someone who hasn’t heard your music before, how would you briefly describe it?

This is always the first and hardest question. Haha. I would say some of it is house influenced but also song based which gives it a pop feel. I’m also constantly evolving, so the music I’m getting ready to release doesn’t sound like the music that I’m currently making. It’s a journey!

Your evolution to dance music wasn’t exactly stereotypical like most DJs, you started as a singer/songwriter. What were some of the biggest challenges you faced?

Honestly, the biggest challenge was mental. I was stepping into a space that was largely unfamiliar to me professionally. Every artist is plagued with doubt. For me, I had to release so much of what my ego was trying to tell me and lean into my passion. I love EDM. I reached a point in my career where I realized, if I’m not having fun making music then I’m doing something wrong. So I just said, “Fuck it.” I love what I’m doing and the music I’m making. It gives me creative life. Whenever voices tell me otherwise, and they are almost exclusively my own, I make a decision not to listen to them and follow my bliss. 

What happened/when did you realize that you could turn producing and DJing into a full-time job/living?

I remember it being in college. I had a band and we were touring the country. At that point, we were all in school and having fun playing music, but I realized that I had an opportunity to actually do music as my career. I remember thinking that I owed it to myself to go all out and give it a shot. Otherwise, I’d never know what would happen. I haven’t had a “real” job since. 🙂 

How did you meet up with Tritonal and get signed to their label?

I had a record that I had written and produced that I played for their manager, Joe Pepin. Joe is the best A&R I’ve ever worked with and he immediately knew the guys would love it. Sure enough, they did. That record was Hung Up. Chad and Dave came on board and took the record to the next level. Joe and I began working together and I signed to Enhanced. The rest is history! 

Tell us a little bit about the organization you started, One Life, because it is a truly awesome cause

One Life was an organization I started after a trip to India about 6 years ago. I never really had aspirations of starting a nonprofit, but I met some people when I was there and everything fell into place. Our mission is to turn places of poverty into places of possibility. We just completed an 8000 sq. ft. facility outside of Calcutta called The Dream Home where we provide extensive care for young girls who come from extreme poverty and abuse. We have young girls who have been victims of slavery, trafficking, and physical and sexual abuse. Right now we run a school and a variety of programs in a slum in Calcutta as well as The Dream Home. The Dream Home currently provides care for 25 girls. We’re currently raising money so that we can operate it at its capacity of 85 children. People can check out the Dream Home and the work we do at www.onelifeintl.org

What inspired you to want to give back to the community like that?

That’s a great question. Honestly, I believe love is what this life is about. Being conscious of love means living in the connection and being of oneness with all people and all things. We belong to one another. When someone hurts, we all hurt. I just happened to experience a world full of people who were desperately hurting and I had the resources to do something about it. It was all a response in love. 

Who are your influences, the people who inspired you to make the music you make today?

This is an impossible question for me to answer. There are too many at this point. For me it really started with old singer songwriters like James Taylor and Billy Joel. 

Tell us a little bit about working with David Ryan Harris, an absolute legend in the industry who has played guitar for perennial artists like John Mayer, Dave Matthews & Santana

It was fantastic. David and I have a lot of mutual friends and our paths have just missed each other over the years. The sessions we wrote Reflection wasn’t a typical EDM writing session. It was really cool to combine styles and influences. 

What is your favorite city in the world to play and why?

Oh man… this is a tough one. I’m going to go ahead and say Los Angeles just because of the hometown vibes, but that answer will probably always be changing. 

If you could play any festival in the world, which one would be it and why?

EDC Vegas has a special place for me because that was where a lot of my love for live shows and festivals started. To play the main stage there would be a huge full circle moment. 

Who is your dream collaborator, someone who you haven’t worked with yet and would love to?

I’d love to work with Jack Garratt. His album was one of my favorite in years. I’m also a big fan of Becky Hill’s voice. It would be awesome to do a record with her. 

Who are some DJs we should know about who are about to break onto the scene?

There’s a kid named Lophiile that I’m obsessed with right now. He’s doing some of the coolest stuff I’ve heard recently. 

What has it been like touring with Seven Lions, Tritonal and Kill the noise?  Should we be expecting some new collabs?

It’s been awesome. Seeing acts at that level play every night has taught me so much. It’s given me so much inspiration and so many ideas for my future show. Chad and Dave have been huge champions of me. We’ve got another collab coming out in January that I’m SUPER excited about. I think it’s our best work together yet. 

What does the new year hold for SJ (new music, festivals, etc.)? 

All of the above. I’ve got a single coming out this month followed by my new Tritonal collab in January. I’m releasing more singles off my upcoming EP in the new year and I’ll be hitting the road on some dates we’re getting close to announcing!

Lastly, I got to ask the stereotypical Philly question, favorite cheesesteak spot?

I’m going to say Joe’s! 

The post Seven Lions & Friends Invaded the Fillmore, Plus an Exclusive Interview with SJ appeared first on philly2night.



from philly2night https://philly2night.com/seven-lions-friends-fillmore-plus-exclusive-interview-sj/

No comments:

Post a Comment